Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Amazing what you find on Wikipedia ;)

I now have an excuse for being a "picky" eater!!! Yahoo!!!! :D (In my opinion a picky eater is someone who turns up their nose at tons of food. I'll eat most food, I just don't always like it. So in my opinion, I'm not picky, I just don't enjoy different tastes.) Anway...I was doing research on Wikipedia for college general ed courses and found this interesting fact about PTC. (At least I thought it was interesting. ;)

 ...non-smokers and those not habituated *love that word* to coffee or tea have a statistically higher percentage of tasting PTC than the general population. PTC does not occur in food, but related chemicals do, and food choice is related to a person's ability to taste PTC. There is conflicting evidence as to whether a higher percentage of women than men can taste PTC (Phenylthiocarbamide - a very bitter chemical).

There you are! I'm a non-smoking woman who is not habituated to coffee or tea. That must be why I don't like a lot of food that most peoples do! :P Okay, w/e...it made me smile. And doing this post gave me a break from school. And I get off on rabbit trails way to easily on this blog. And now I'm going back to my Quizlet set...  

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It does not! You are habituated to coffee! :P and you're a guy!

      Delete
  2. I drink coffee and tea, and I am a pretty picky eater even after burning all those taste buds off. Just imagine what I would be like if I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's also hereditary. I just wonder if maybe not liking coffee has something to do with tasting PTC?? I mean, coffee is pretty bitter, so if you taste bitter tastes more than other peoples...maybe that's why you don't like coffee (you being a very general term there :). I don't know...my brain is so frazzled right now. :P

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting observation! Thanks for sharing:)
    Just out of curiosity, what foods do you not like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...well, there are lots that I just don't care for. But ones I really can't stand are fish, fish, and fish. :) :P

      There are also a lot that I do like (like broccoli) that upset my stomach slightly. :(

      Delete
    2. OH...and hotdogs! And Chinese food (at least some of it). And tomato-y food (can't stand huge chunks of gushy tomatos) and ketchup and MAYO *gag* Okay....I didn't think I'd given you enough before, but yeah...this shouldn't turn into a complaining session. :P I complain enough already. (terrible habit! ;)

      Delete

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.