Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Integrity

As I was cutting apples for drying today (yes, that's why my fingers look so nasty: apple juice + cinnamon and sugar = permanently stained hands for several days...and now everyone is going to be looking at my fingers ;) I was thinking about how man looks on the outward appearance but God looks on the heart. (1 Samuel 16:7) Those apples look beautiful on the outside (well, most of them), but when you cut into them, you soon find out it's a different story. They're mealy, brown, and worm tunneled. *yuck* 

That got me thinking about a chapter in the book I've been reading (one thing leads to another when you've got lots of time to think over your apples :).
The chapter was about integrity. My dad has been talking to me about purposing in my heart not to let anything into my house (when I have one of my own) that will dishonor God, but I couldn't think what that character trait would be called. Then I read this chapter about not letting any unwholesome things into your heart and mind. It's called...integrity! (I *love* that word! :D) 

Integrity - the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles

The book was reminding women that it only takes 3% (or just a very small amount) to corrupt the inside of something. It starts out as just a little...and ends up eating out your insides. 
Having integrity is keeping those tempting "little" things out of your house, mind, and soul. Some potential "worms" that can make it into your home and destroy those inside are television, movies, internet, books, music, etc. I'm not at all saying these things are wrong in and of themselves. My family personally has all of these things except a television (which doesn't necessarily make them right, I'm just saying I'm not judging you if you have them). These are things we have at our fingertips that we think can be so innocent. But that 3% that gets into our minds and hearts (and that of our children) can end up being terminal to our soul. It can destroy our insides. Like the ruined apple that had worm tunnels all throughout it. It only took one worm (okay, maybe that's a terrible analogy), but the entire apple was ruined. Unlike the apple, we can ask for God's forgiveness on our mistakes and he can clean us up, but there are still scars remaining. I believe we should be very careful with what we put into our hearts; what we label as "fun" or "entertainment". Who cares if it gives us 1 1/2 hours of satisfaction if it has "small parts" in it that dishonor God? Was it worth the 1 hours and 34 minutes of  "fun"? I think the young people of my generation need to take this subject much more seriously. We need to strive to become men and women of integrity! Please don't take this as me saying, "I've read the books, talked to my dad, and I've totally got this down and now it's time for me to tell you all how to shape up!" This is something I'm studying, working on, and sharing with you all so you can help me by giving me your thoughts (and keeping me accountable...please!).

I'm sure y'all have heard this story, but it helps me understand the reality and seriousness of the subject.
Two teenagers asked their father if they could go to the theater to watch a movie that all their friends had seen. After reading some reviews about the movie on the internet, he denied their request.
"Aw dad, why not?" they complained. "It's rated PG-13, and we're both older than thirteen!"
Dad replied: "Because that movie portrays immorality, which is something that God hates."
"But dad, those are just very small parts of the movie! That's what our friends who've seen it have told us. The movie is two hours long and those scenes are just a few minutes of the total film!"
"My answer is 'no,' and that is my final answer. You are welcome to stay home tonight, invite some of your friends over, and watch one of the good videos we have in our home collection. But you will not go and watch that film. End of discussion."
The two teenagers walked dejectedly into the family room and slumped down on the couch. As they sulked, they were surprised to hear the sounds of their father preparing something in the kitchen. They soon recognized the wonderful aroma of brownies baking in the oven, and one of the teenagers said to the other, "Dad must be feeling guilty, and now he's going to try to make it up to us with some fresh brownies. Maybe we can soften him with lots of praise when he brings them out to us and persuade him to let us go to that movie after all."
The teens were not disappointed. Soon their father appeared with a plate of warm brownies which he offered to his kids. They each took one.
Then their father said, "Before you eat, I want to tell you something: I love you both so much."
The teenagers smiled at each other with knowing glances. Dad was softening.
"That is why I've made these brownies with the very best ingredients. I've made them from scratch. Most of the ingredients are even organic. The best organic flour. The best free-range eggs. The best organic sugar. Premium vanilla and chocolate."
The brownies looked mouth-watering, and the teens began to become a little impatient with their dad's long speech.
"But I want to be perfectly honest with you. There is one ingredient I added that is not usually found in brownies. I got that ingredient from our own back yard. But you needn't worry, because I only added the tiniest bit of that ingredient to your brownies. The amount of the portion is practically insignificant. So go ahead, take a bite and let me know what you think."
"Dad, would you mind telling us what that mystery ingredient is before we eat?"
"Why? The portion I added was so small. Just a teaspoonful. You won't even taste it."
"Come on, dad, just tell us what that ingredient is."
"Don't worry! It is organic, just like the other ingredients."
"Dad!"
"Well, OK, if you insist. That secret ingredient is organic...dog poop."
Both teens instantly dropped their brownies back on the plate and began inspecting their fingers with horror.
"DAD! Why did you do that? You've tortured us by making us smell those brownies cooking for the last half hour, and now you tell us that you added dog poop! We can't eat these brownies!"
"Why not? The amount of dog poop is very small compared to the rest of the ingredients. It won't hurt you. It's been cooked right along with the other ingredients. You won't even taste it. It has the same consistency as the brownies. Go ahead and eat!"
"No, Dad...NEVER!"
"And that is the same reason I won't allow you to go watch that movie. You won't tolerate a little dog poop in your brownies, so why should you tolerate a little immorality in your movies?"
(I can't seem to find the author of this story. It was sent to me in an email several years ago.)

The righteous man walks in his integrity; His children are blessed after him.
(Proverbs 20:7 NKJV)


7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this Madi! Your words are so true. I really needed to hear this today! I will continue to pray for you that God will keep you strong, and protect you from the snares of sin. And you can pray the same for me. I am struggling with fear of failure, and a paralization to not be able to move forward because I don't want to fall into sins that have been prevalent in my family.
    I just keep holding onto this verse, as my hope.

    "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad God used my post to bless you today! Thank you so much for praying for me and I will definitely pray for you! You are such a faithful friend!! :D
      Yes, that's a wonderful verse! I know you're heart is wanting to do what is right! God will bless that. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that I have, according to the world "protective parents", I'm sure they have shielded from me many horrors and I'm deeply thankful to them, even though I don't know what they've kept from me. Thank you Lord for Christian, "protective" parents! I love them both! :D
    Thanks for the post Madi!
    ><>Rebekah<><

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an excellent post, Madi. Thank you so much for sharing your heart and sharpening others with your exhortation. I can't remember all the details for this one, but I remember someone saying that rat poison is 98% real food and 2% poison. It's that little bit of poison that does the damage. It can be so easy to think that we've got it all in line and are "untouchable" because of that. That's about the worst thing we can do. We are so influenced, can stumble so quickly, and always ready to listen to our flesh. Oh, and it's always so much easier to find faults in other people. ;) The life of a Christian is a constant battle that will bring about many struggles and temptations. You are so right about keeping each other accountable! It reminds me of Proverbs 27:17, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." and 1 Timothy 6:12a, "Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life."
    And I have to say, whenever I hear the word "integrity", it always reminds me of that part in Jonathan Park where Mr. and Mrs. Park and Jonathan are talking about Job. Mrs. Park says, "Integrity is doing what's right, even when nobody's looking." :D

    Sorry, to make that long, your article really summed up everything... I just couldn't help but speak my thoughts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard that about the rat poison too.
      Haha...whenever I think of integrity, I think of Courageous. ;) Which makes sense because the book that defined that word for me was based off "The Resolution" in Courageous. (Only this one's for women.)

      That's okay! I love it when people share their thoughts through comments!! :D

      Delete
  4. I once heard integrity defined as making the right decision even when it isn't popular. Thank you for the post Madi. It's a great reminder as to what decisions a Godly Christian should and will make when in a compromising situation. Compromising in small or large ways is a form of abusing God's grace and forgiveness. This post is a good reminder to always seek the Lords direction in every spiritual decision we make and to never compromise. Thank you for letting me ramble ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great definition! It's hard sometimes to make unpopular decisions, but I recently memorized the verse that says "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness..." a great reminder that He gives us strength according to our difficulties or temptations.
      lol...you're welcome. I love it when people share their thoughts on here. :D

      Delete

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.