Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Contentment & Trust

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

"Honor your father and mother" - which is the first commandment with a promise. Ephesians 6:2

Over the past few years I've had to learn trust (or faith) and contentment. There were certain things that I really wanted that my parents didn't want me to have or just didn't think necessary. I always knew and trusted that they were doing what was best for me, but it was still hard to be content sometimes. "Why couldn't I have a cell-phone when practically everyone I knew had one." "Why couldn't I be on Facebook or some other such social network...it's just what people do!" "Why can't I get my driver's license when I'm 16 like my brother instead of having to wait till I'm 18?" (3 more months to go! ;) These thoughts would continue for short periods of time before I would nip them in the bud. I would tell myself that my parents knew best and I shouldn't question them. It's usually about a year after I've wanted these material things "that everyone else has" that I start to see the good in not having them and quit wanting them and start being soooo thankful that I don't have them.
In my case, Facebook would take up way too much time! I like to talk and I like it when people talk to me, and I would be constantly checking in to see if anyone had said anything to me lately. It would begin many "false" relationships that aren't healthy (because you never really know what the person is like) and take time away from growing "real" relationships with my family.
A cell-phone would be helpful for some things, but in most cases that I need one I can just take Mom's. This teaches simple living and learning to work with what you have. Also, with all the technology ready at people's fingertips (no pun intended :P) I think most the world is missing out on some really cool art! Last night as we were driving home at 10:00 pm from a late night event, the sky was so beautiful. The moon was a tiny sliver of light and there were small clouds brushing the sky right under the moon. As I was gazing at this lovely scene painted by my Master, a car sped by in the "fast lane" and there was a person in it staring at some mobile device. I have no idea what they were doing. They could have been taking care of some important information, but it did cause me to think. So many people miss out on God's little blessings because they are "busy" on their mobile devices. For a fleeting moment I thought how glad I was that I didn't have to worry about a phone or an iPod. I could just enjoy the moon, 'cause it was all there was to do.
More recently I've had to have faith that God knows what He's doing in taking away my ability to play the piano comfortably. I haven't been able to play for several months due to pain in both arms. I don't know what's going on with them and I had to put off doing my Senior Recital when I was so close to being done. It's been a very hard but definitely a strengthening time for me! God has been near me through it, and I know that He is teaching me something beyond my wildest dreams.

Don't ever doubt that God knows what He's doing. Trust Him and tell Him your cares. He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall! 



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this encouragement Madi! It was very helpful for me to be reminded of. I am praying for your arms to be healed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers Elanee! They are much appreciated. :) You are such a sweet friend!! :D

      Delete

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.