Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day

On this 4th day of July, 2013, I wanted to share a quick quote with you all. It is one of my favorite Stars and Stripes quotes, and because I've heard it so many times, I almost have it memorized. It is one that has, without fail, given me shivers every time I hear it spoken with such seriousness. If you ever watch me listen to this quote, you will probably see me trying to hide a smile as I remember different "inside jokes" that correspond with this quote and the learning of it in S&S. (For instance, if anyone *ever* says, "It behooves us then..." there are two girls who always look my way and finish the quote with me.) Anyway, it's kind of special to me and I really (really, really) like it, so.......


ENJOY! (and ponder...)

"We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven. We have been preserved, these many years, in peace and prosperity. We have grown in numbers, wealth and power, as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us! It behooves us then, to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins, and to pray for clemency and forgiveness."
 By President Abraham Lincoln

2 Chronicles 7:14
...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is a great quote! As I was reading it I was thinking this must have been written recently, and then I got to the name at the bottom, and I was amazed. That quote is almost like a prophecy.

    I was just realizing after reading your post that we have a great task ahead of us, in the days and years that follow, to point our country to Christ through our words, actions thoughts, attitudes, and motives. One person at a time, we can make a difference and God can be once again glorified through this country. We must never give I hope in Him!

    ReplyDelete

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.