Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Wisdom


Proverbs 3:13-24
Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding,
for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold
She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.
Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor.
Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who embrace her; those who lay hold of her will be blessed.
By wisdom the LORD laid the earth's foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place;
by his knowledge the deeps were divided and the clouds let drop the dew  
My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight;
they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck.
Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble;
when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

I was working through this chapter (that I have known for almost half my life) on Memverse the other day. One particular verse stood out to me that never has before. I've always liked this whole wisdom section. I know it's a good thing to have. Look at what happened with Solomon.
God - "Ask for whatever you want me to give you."
Solomon - "[G]ive your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong."
 God - "Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for--both riches and honor--so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings.And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life."
(Quotations taken from 1 Kings 3 NIV)


So yeah, wow, if God was so pleased that Solomon asked for wisdom that he made him the wisest man in history it must be a good thing! I ask God for wisdom...when I think of it. But there's a verse in this section of Proverbs 3 that makes it seem a little more important to me. Notice the second half of verse 15: "nothing you desire can compare with her." Hmm...there are lots of things I desire. Like, say, a grand piano. :D I really, really, really want one. Like...really really!!! But, wisdom doesn't even compare with that! Wisdom gives us a happiness or joy beyond all that the world could ever provide. Matthew Henry states in his commentary on Proverbs 3, "It is a participation of the happiness of God himself, for wisdom is his everlasting glory and blessedness."

I guess I need to spend a little more time praying for wisdom. Then, if God decides not to give me a grand piano (at least not in this life....I think there will be 20 footers in heaven that don't allow you to ever hit a wrong note and have perfect voicing. :) I'll have something so much better that I can't even comprehend how much here on earth. (Because I can't imagine what wouldn't even compare to the joy of a grand piano.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.